Spectrum analyser software

• This topic has 30 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated by .
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    G4YTL
    Participant

Has anybody succeeded in using the SDRPLay Spectrum Analyser software programme with RSPDx? I’ve sent a ticket to SDRPLay, but no reply yet.

The software loads, but only gives the SDRDuo as an input option, although it shows the correct serial number of my RSPDx.

David

SDRplay_Tech
      Participant

In our understanding the RSPdx is not yet supported. We have sent Steve Andrew a RSPdx for development purposes, so hopefully he will be able to add support soon.

Regards

SDRplay_Tech

G4YTL
        Participant

There seems to be some misrepresentation then. I waited for the RSPDx to come out, as I wanted the option of the external 24MHz clock input. I particularity wanted to try the spectrum analyser software with it. (I have an Airspy already, so the general receiver function wasn’t the most important issue.)

The SDRPlay website https://www.sdrplay.com/resources/RSPdxDatasheet.pdf specifically states “Separate stand-alone Spectrum Analyser software for Windows is also available free of charge” and also lists Spectrum Analyser under industrial use.

If Steve Andrew can add support soon, then I will wait. But if not, I would like to return the device as not meeting its advertised specification.

In the meantime, you may wish to consider altering your advertising material

Steve Andrew
          Participant

Hi David

I’ve just received an RSPdx for evaluation. Currently I’m tidying up a new version of the analyser, due for release in the next couple of weeks. I need to use the new service-based API in order to control the RSPdx, as well as being able to offer full dual-receiver support for the RSPduo. I’ll contact SDRplay and discuss this with them, and post something here once I have a better idea of what is to be done and what support I’m able to offer for the RSPdx.

Best regards

Steve Andrew

G4YTL
            Participant

Many thanks Steve. And thanks for all of your previous contributions.

I have an Airspy, and my main reason for getting an RSP was for the Spectrum Analyser function. I was just about to buy one, when I was advised by SDRPlay that the RSP2 was being withdrawn and that a new model would appear soon. As with the Airspy, I wanted the option of the external clock input, and indeed my Leo Bodnar unit is ready and waiting on 24MHz!

The RDPDx data sheet clearly states that the Spectrum Analyser function is available, which is obviously incorrect.

If you are confident that you will be able to modify the software for the RSPDx, then I will wait. But if it proves impossible for whatever reason, I will return the unit to Martin Lynch. I will in any case notify them of the issue in case others are also misled.

sdruser
              Participant

I use my RSP1a as a spectrum analyzer without the software you are referring to. And it works great. Some people have to really harp about stuff as if they have been horribly wronged. Adding threats to return the rspdx isn’t going to help your case. If you want to return your ‘dx version, I don’t think SDRPlay is going to loose any sleep over you returning it. And I suspect the new dx version will run circles around your “spy” sdr receiver you also have now.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 3 months ago by .
                G4YTL
                Participant

I particularly wanted to try out Steve’s software. I would have bought a 1a to do that, but it didn’t have the option of the external reference input. When I spoke to SDRPlay at a rally they told me that the Dx version would be coming out soon, so I waited. Obviously, in retrospect, their datasheet for the Dx had some hangovers from earlier models, and as it said software was available I assumed it was Steve’s.

My bet is that Steve will be able to modify the software accordingly and all will be happy.

I emailed Martin Lynch to discuss that matter – but haven’t had a reply.

G4ABQ
                  Admin

We apologise for giving the impression that the spectrum analyser software from Steve Andrew would be available for the RSPdx sooner than is likely. It’s still quite a bit of work and it’s difficult to commit a date since there is work for SDRplay to do as well. We have removed the misleading statement that the s/w is available right now.
                    Best regards, Jon, SDRplay Marketing

• This reply was modified 4 years, 3 months ago by .
                    tisho88
                    Participant

Hello all,
                      I have question concerning the availability of the Spectrum Analyser software for Raspberry Pi.
                      Is it planned further development in this direction?
                      Best regards, Tihomir

PS: Wish you all to have nice holidays and great time

G4ABQ
                      Admin

I don’t believe the stand-alone Spectrum Analyser software from Steve Andrew will migrate to run on a Raspberry Pi. The spectrum monitor within SDRuno will migrate to Linux when SDRuno runs on Linux as per the SDRuno roadmap: https://www.sdrplay.com/updated-sdruno-roadmap/

diysdr
                        Participant

Just curious, what is the significance of supporting an external 24mhz onsciallator? Stability, low phase noise?

I have not tried the spectrum analyzer. I assume that all it does is allow you to enter a range of frequencies and then it automatically moves the LO and Rx across a wide frequency range. I was thinking that this might be easy to do via accessing the API but then I read about the API and decided otherwise. I’m not enough of a programming guru to jump into that, wish I were.

G4YTL
                          Participant

Just for absolute frequency accuracy. The internal oscillator is pretty good, but it is very easy to lock to an external standard. Indeed, all my shack items that can be are locked to a Leo Badnar GPS unit. Most are on 10MHz, but can also output 24MHz

G4YTL
                            Participant

Sorry Leo – meant Bodnar!

diysdr
                              Participant

Interesting, hadn’t thought of doing that before but it makes sense. Its kinda like all the old school analog video studios had “house sync” so all their video equipment was synced together.

Do you participate in frequency measurement contests?

73 de don

G4YTL
                                Participant

Thanks.

No I don’t do that. I’m not obsessed with absolute accuracy! Happy to be within 1Hz, but most importantly that it is stable – important for data modes on EME. And it’s now very easy to achieve that with a GPS unit. David

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.