Wellbrook Loop Performance Flex versus Rigid

SDRPlay Independent Community Forum Forums SDR Antennas Wellbrook Loop Performance Flex versus Rigid

• This topic has 26 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated by .
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    JHuggins
    Participant

Hello,

Are there any performance differences I should know about when choosing between the Wellbrook with the rigid loop, and the one where I loop my own coax to form the loop?

Thank you,

Jack

G4ABQ
      Admin

The bigger effect will be whether or not your loop is also an active antenna like the Wellbrook loop. Next will be the design of the active circuitry and the size of the loop.  Other popular designs of active antennas for HF are the W6LVP design and the Bonito range of Megaloops which are available both as rigid and flexible loop versions.

This is a useful site with many links to various loop antennas: https://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Loops

JHuggins
        Participant

Well, both the Wellbrooks I’m looking at are active. The only difference is that one uses a coax loop and the other one has a rigid loop, and what’s inside that I don’t know.

https://www.loop-antennas.com/wellbrook/FLX1530LN-flexible-loop
          https://www.loop-antennas.com/wellbrook/ALA1530LN

The Wellbrook website is confusing since it shows lots of discontinued models.
          And the comparison chart Says the ALA1530LN is passive while the landing page says it’s active.
          https://www.loop-antennas.com/wellbrook/Comparison

Plus I emailed them and got no answer which is why I’m posting here.
          It’s really a terribly confusing website.

Thanks!

G4ABQ
          Admin

I think they are both active (although not specifically setting out to add gain)  – this article suggests the electronics is identical for both the rigid and flexible versions I think: https://www.loop-antennas.com/wellbrook/FLX1530LN-flexible-loop

Hopefully once this new forum gets going, some more knowledgeable folks will comment.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 6 months ago by .
            DaveR
            Participant

The comparison chart describes the interface as being passive, not the loop /amplifier (which is the “active” part).

Both versions of the 1530LN use the same amplifier, and I would imagine that the rigid loop (using 19mm tube) will give slightly better performance than one using coax, but not by much.  The coax version has the advantage that it’s portable, and you can easily try different sized loops, if you want to experiment with it.  I doubt whether you’ll be disappointed with whichever version you go for.

Regards,

Dave

JHuggins
              Participant

Thank you.

Since the performance differences are presumably slight, I’m leaning to the flexible version because I can pack it in my car easier and I like the idea of being able to change loop size.

Lee
                Participant

I have been looking at the cheap MLA-30 loop. badged as 0.1 to 30MHz but really 0.5 to 30MHz as it steps up 5V to 12V with a noisy converter. supposed to be pretty good for < £40.

currently using about 10 meters of speaker wire in the attic on the HiZ port.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 6 months ago by .
                  SDRplay_Tech
                  Participant

The MLA-30 is definitely useless below 500 kHz, but reasonable above that if you use the bias-t on the RSP and avoid the external power injector. I replaced the wire loop with one made from 10mm copper tube. It doesn’t come close to the Bonito Megadiople that I also use, but is good value for money.

G3NKL
                    Participant

Recently returned to HF listening with a RSPduo. I needed a general purpose antenna and after some research bought the Wellbrook rigid loop. I can confirm it is an active loop, as I think are all the Wellbrook loops.

I have only had it for a couple of weeks, but so far very pleased with it. No idea on the performance difference between this and the flexible loop, but probably minimal. Background noise level using a wire antenna drowns out all but the strongest of stations, whereas the loop pulls them in well.

Lee
                      Participant

i did toy with getting the Wellbrook FLX1530LN which looks to be a flexible version, though i was unsure if you got the loop or had to supply your own.

the “Dave Aichelman’s FLX1530LN – pdf” on the page makes it sound like you just get the module and psu.

in the end i ordered the MLA-30, i’m interested in what i can pick up but not £200+ interested.

JHuggins
                        Participant

Yes you do have to supply your own coax with the FLX. And it has to have BNC connectors, which some have complained about because some newer connectors have a broader bandwidth.

Rick
                          Admin

I do have the MLA-30 and a wellbrook 1530ln I recently did a video on these with modifying the mla-30 and comparing it to the wellbrook the video is here https://youtu.be/RvXsywLbi9k I also have  a cross country wireless magnetic loop on order and just received a Bonito ML200 so I will be doing a comparison video between all 4 loops,

Lee
                            Participant

did the MLA-30 conversion and removed the awful RG174 and soldered in a BNC connector, tried it with an rtlsdr v3 and was picking up shannon volmet stronger than my RSP2.

next to buy some plastic pipe and stick it in the attic on my RSP2.

Lee
                              Participant

watched this earlier ( 4 loops compared) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRhDHHpLoaM

Nice to see the MLA-30 held its own, i do have a good few meters of 5mm copper wire. might be worth trying it instead of the supplied one.

Lee
                                Participant

tried the copper wire, didn’t make any difference if anything the noise floor was slightly higher.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.