Very little luck here

SDRPlay Independent Community Forum Forums SDRUno Very little luck here

• This topic has 6 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated by .
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    sidsdroid
    Participant

Recently purchased the rspdx and have spent the last few days trying to pick up a signal strong enough to hear on sdruno. I am using a jpole antenna and when it is connected to my VHF receiver I am able to pick up the local repeaters and weather with no problem. But,as soon as I swap it over to the rspdx and open up sdruno, the signals are weak or non-existent. I can barely get the weather (very weak) and absolutely no repeaters. Can pick up a couple of FM stations but that’s about it. Even swapped to a mobile vehicle antenna but that didn’t help. No AM or shortwave either. Watched all the videos I could find on troubleshooting and setup but no one seems to have the lack of signals that I am running across. Any tips out there?

• This topic was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by .
      Rick
      Admin

what do you have your gain set to in the main window it should be at max unless you experience and adc overload warning at which point you lower the gain until the warning disappears, are you selecting the correct antenna port in the main window, do you have the NB set to off in the RX control window,, if you are using a jumper cable to connect the antenna to the RSP is that okay

sidsdroid
        Participant

Well, that was easy enough. I was never putting the gain all the way to max! I knew about overload and was to scared to get close to that. I thought overload might damage something. Thanks for that!

Rick
          Admin

Glad I could help and you have it sorted keep safe and well

Andy2
            Participant

It’s a common mistake. The gain seems to mostly appear in the last few notches of the slider. This has changed since the earlier version of the software, where the gain slider was more progressive.
              The other trip-wire is frequency entry. People just enter the digits without the ‘MHz’ key and wonder why they can receive nothing! SDRUno has a pretty steep learning curve and a lot of people are not comfortable with it at first. I was like that at first and kept going back to HDSDR, but I decided I really ought to get down to it and now I won’t use anything else.
              BTW, you won’t damage your receiver by having the gain up too far, but you might get spurious responses and a high noise level.

sidsdroid
              Participant

You sure got that right! Can’t believe I spent a few days on something that simple but I did learn a lot on the program itself. Appreciate the feedback!! All I need now is a mouse wheel attached to the laptop for easier frequently change lol

SDRplay_Tech
                Participant

On the RSPdx, the gain steps are 3 dB per step. Don’t forget that having the IF AGC on by default means that the overall gain will tend to remain fairly constant. The higher gains will give you a lower Noise Figure and hence a better senstivity.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by .
                Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.