Spectrum Analyzer won’t run on Win10

SDRPlay Independent Community Forum Forums SDR Software (RSP Compatible) Spectrum Analyzer won’t run on Win10

• This topic has 23 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated by .
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    MikeD
    Participant

I have V1.1 of the program running on an old laptop with Windows 7, but it’s too slow so I installed it on a Windows 10 laptop.

Although this already has SDRUno 1.33 installed the Spectrum Analyzer wouldn’t run as it said the API was missing.

So I installed API 3.06 and now when I click the Spectrum Analyzer icon nothing happens.

Any suggestions please?

Mike

Steve Andrew
      Participant

Hi Mike

You don’t mention if you had an earlier version of the analyser running on the Windows 10 machine. If you did, make sure you delete the CurrentSetting.ini and Default.ini files from your documents folder. If you still have problems, let us know.

Best regards

Steve

MikeD
        Participant

Hi Steve

Thanks for coming back to me.

This is the first time I’ve installed the Spectrum Analyser on the Win10 machine, but I checked the Documents folder anyway (odd place for a program to keep .ini files?). There’s a folder called RSP Spectrum Analyser but it doesn’t contain any files.

I tried uninstalling Spectrum Analyser, manually deleting the Andrew Developments folder in C:\\Program Files (x86) then reinstalling it but it still won’t run.

As it runs OK on the Win7 machine I also tried Compatibility Settings but still nothing.

Mike

Steve Andrew
          Participant

Hi Mike

I had to put the .ini files somewhere, and as the user can create several .ini files of their own, the documents folder was the logical place to store them, along with any other output from the analyser.

I had a somebody with a similar problem when running Vista. It turned out to be permission settings for the documents folder although that may not be the case here.

A quick test: Uninstall the analyser and ensure the folder RSP Spectrum Analyser and anything it may contain has been deleted from your documents folder. Now install and run the analyser. At this point you say nothing appears on-screen. Once you have tried to run the analyser, check to see what folders, sub-folders and files (if any) have been created in your documents folder.

All the best

Steve

MikeD
            Participant

Hi Steve

I did as you suggested and the folder RSP Spectrum Analyser was created. It contains two empty subfolders: ScreenShots and SpecSettings.

Interestingly, if I start the program with the RSP disconnected I get the error message shown in the attachment, but with the device connected nothing happens.

Mike

Attachments:
              Steve Andrew
              Participant

Hi Mike

I think it is most probable that you have some form of permission settings problem and the analyser is not being allowed to write to your documents folder. My code does not create the folders as a separate action, they are created by windows when I use functions to save a file. The path(folders chain) is created automatically. The only other thing I can suggest is placing to two attached files in the RSP SPectrum Analyser/SpecSettings folder. If the analyser then starts, that would indicate that the analyser is unable to write to the folder. The problem will (may) come when you then close the analyser down. Code will attempt to write the CurrentSettings.ini file.

As mentioned, this problem (or similar) has occurred before, but unfortunately the person I was trying to help did not reply to my last email that contained a list of things to check. On that basis, I can only assume something worked and he neglected to let me know, so I don’t know how that turned out. Since then I’ve had a computer crash and those emails are no longer available.

Let us know how it goes.

All the best

Steve

Steve Andrew
                Participant

Hi Mike

It seems the forum does not allow .ini files to be uploaded, so I’ve popped both files into a zipped version – Fingers crossed.

Steve

Attachments:
                  MikeD
                  Participant

Thanks Steve.

Your zip file only contained one file (Default.ini). I copied this as instructed and the analyser started up OK, but as you suspected it had a problem closing down.

I changed the folder permissions to allow Full Control for users and created an empty CurrentSettings.ini file but it still fails to close down.

The error window is attached and the full message is as follows.

Regards

Mike

See the end of this message for details on invoking 
                    just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
                    System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path 'D:\Documents\RSP Spectrum Analyser\SpecSettings\CurrentSettings.ini' is denied.
                       at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
                       at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy, Boolean useLongPath, Boolean checkHost)
                       at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy, Boolean useLongPath, Boolean checkHost)
                       at System.IO.StreamWriter.CreateFile(String path, Boolean append, Boolean checkHost)
                       at System.IO.StreamWriter..ctor(String path, Boolean append, Encoding encoding, Int32 bufferSize, Boolean checkHost)
                       at System.IO.StreamWriter..ctor(String path)
                       at Spectrum.frmMain.AnalyserSettingsControl.saveSettings(GlobalUserSettings& gs, SweepSettings& sweepSettings, String fname)
                       at Spectrum.frmMain.frmMain_FormClosing(Object sender, FormClosingEventArgs e)
                       at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnFormClosing(FormClosingEventArgs e)
                       at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WmClose(Message& m)
                       at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc(Message& m)
                       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
                       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
                       at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
                    mscorlib
                        Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0
                        Win32 Version: 4.8.4180.0 built by: NET48REL1LAST_B
                        CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll
                    ----------------------------------------
                    RSP-SAS Spectrum Analyser
                        Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
                        Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
                        CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Andrew%20Developments/RSP-Spectrum%20Analyser/RSP-Spectrum%20Analyser.exe
                    System.Windows.Forms
                        Win32 Version: 4.8.4150.0 built by: NET48REL1LAST_C
                        CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
                    System
                        Win32 Version: 4.8.4001.0 built by: NET48REL1LAST_C
                        CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
                    System.Drawing
                        Win32 Version: 4.8.3752.0 built by: NET48REL1
                        CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
                    System.Configuration
                        CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
                    System.Core
                        Win32 Version: 4.8.4180.0 built by: NET48REL1LAST_B
                        CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll
                    System.Xml
                        CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
                    To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
                    application or computer (machine.config) must have the
                    jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
                    The application must also be compiled with debugging
                    enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
                        <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
                    </configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
                    will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
                    rather than be handled by this dialog box.

MikeD
                    Participant

Sorry, error window attached now!

Mike

Attachments:
                      W6CAW
                      Participant

Won’t work on my Win 10 also. Went back to previous version, works fine. Will wait to try update again.

Steve Andrew
                        Participant

Hi Mike

The error message window and the first line of the error report says it all:

System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path ‘D:\Documents\RSP Spectrum Analyser\SpecSettings\CurrentSettings.ini’ is denied.

That would seem to indicate permission settings are denying access somewhere. Have you tried installing and/or running the analyser as administrator ? I’ll have a look at the relevant code but I don’t think what I do tries to violate permission settings, and it works on most systems.

I’ve attached another zip, this time with both files present. This will at least allow you to start the analyser. Once the analyser is running, try saving settings files to somewhere like a folder on your desktop and see if that causes a problem. Try the same thing again, but this time try and save in the SpecSettings folder in the documents folder.

W6CAW – Was your previous version 1.04 ? – If so, did you remove all files and folders from your documents folder before running the current version, V1.1 ? – Can only suggest you try everything mentioned in this thread and then let me know what happens.

Cheers

Steve

Attachments:
                          MikeD
                          Participant

Hi Steve

I copied the files you sent to the SpecSettings folder and the analyser starts, but gives the same access error on closing.

If I try to save a screenshot while it’s running I get an unhandled exception error:

************* Exception Text **************
                            System.Runtime.InteropServices.ExternalException (0x80004005): A generic error occurred in GDI+.
                               at System.Drawing.Image.Save(String filename, ImageCodecInfo encoder, EncoderParameters encoderParams)
                               at System.Drawing.Image.Save(String filename, ImageFormat format)
                               at System.Drawing.Image.Save(String filename)
                               at RSP_SAS_Spectrum_Analyser.DisplayControlPanel.SaveImage(String filePath)
                               at Spectrum.frmMain.btnSaveScreenshot_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
                               at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
                               at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
                               at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
                               at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
                               at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
                               at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
                               at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
                               at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
                               at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
                               at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

If I click Save Data, an empty folder called DataDump is created and the program closes.

Selecting Gains edit followed by Save As allows me to save the file to the Desktop, but when I tried clicking Save it created the GainTables folder then crashed when trying to write the file.

Running the program as Administrator doesn’t change the above behaviour.

Perhaps I should mention that my C: drive is reserved for Windows and programs while a physically separate D: drive contains all my data, including the Documents folder.

So the program can create the folders it needs under D:\\Documents\RSP Spectrum Analyser but cannot write to files in those folders.

Mike

W6CAW
                            Participant

first Steve, thanks for such a great program.
                              Deleting the folder in “Documents” appeared to do the trick.
                              I also ran reg clean in CCleaner.
                              Nice update.

MikeD
                              Participant

Hi Steve

After much fiddling I have fixed the problem, which you will be delighted to hear was not of your program’s making.

It was my antivirus software (Bitdefender) which was preventing the program from “writing to a protected location”. Unfortunately it wasn’t alerting me to the fact!

Thanks for your support and thanks from me too for such a great program.

Mike

Steve Andrew
                                Participant

Hi Mike and W6CAW

Glad to hear both problems are now sorted out and you’re up and running. I’ll have to update the manual to warn of potential problems caused by antivirus software. I seem to recall that this problem might have occurred some time ago with an earlier version. I’ll update the code so that if there is some error caused by trying to write to the documents folder then, a message box will pop up warning the user. This will at least allow the analyser to run. Likewise, I’ll trap for the same error when shutting down.

If you have any other problems, please let me know.

All the best

Steve

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.