Spectrum analyser tracking generator problem

SDRPlay Independent Community Forum Forums SDR Software (RSP Compatible) Spectrum analyser tracking generator problem

• This topic has 4 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated by .
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    MikeD
    Participant

I’m using Spectrum Analyser v1.1 on a Windows 10 machine with V3 of the SDRPlay API and an RSPdx.

I have assembled the tracking generator hardware (Arduino plus AD9851) and loaded the Trackgen firmware.

The generator works fine in Spot mode, but when I switch on the tracking generator I see a carrier moving across the screen when I would expect to see a horizontal trace.

Am I missing something?

Mike

Steve Andrew
      Participant

Hi Mike

You will need to select ‘Peak’ mode for the trace you are using. If your span is 1MHz or less then you can run a frequency step rate of around 20-25ms. On wider spans, you will need to experiment with the step timing. Currently there is no synchronisation between the analyser and the tracking generator. On the roadmap is a complete overhaul of the tracking generator, including being able to perform a line plot instead of having to use the peak-hold function.

This may be of interest to you. I was about to get one of the Chinese boards they mention for almost the same price. It would make an excellent tracking generator up to 400MHz, or 600MHz if overclocked. And with the built in modulation modes available and adjustable output levels, would make a very handy budget signal generator as well.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DDS-AD9910-Arduino-Shield-600MHz-1-5GSPS-RF-Signal-Generator-Low-Spurs-Harmonics-/163923312245?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10

I’ve attached a screen-shot showing how the peak-hold function works with the track gen.

Cheers

Steve

Attachments:
        MikeD
        Participant

Thanks Steve

I have been using peak hold but just wanted to check whether the conventional horizontal trace wasn’t available or I was doing something wrong.

That generator board looks fascinating. So much tech to play with now …

Mike

MikeD
          Participant

Hi Steve

I’ve just ordered one of the AD9910 shields to play with. Do you have any plans to update Trackgen to work with them?

Also if I may, is it possible to change the colour of the Spectrum Analyser axis labels? They seem to be fixed on yellow, and as I prefer the screen to be white (to save printer ink!) they are hard to read.

Mike

Steve Andrew
            Participant

Hi Mike

Good news indeed, I think it will work very well and I fully intend to support it. Could you contact me at feedback@spectrumanalyser.co.uk so I can PM you ?

Regarding text colours – The there are options in the next release to save the screen in colour, black and white or reversed (negative) black and white. This should give you a printer-friendly output. I’ll have a look at setting on-screen data and label colours. I don’t expect it would take much as it would just be an extension of the existing.

Cheers

Steve

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.