SDRplay RSPduo Dual Tuner – Antennas

SDRPlay Independent Community Forum Forums General SDRplay RSPduo Dual Tuner – Antennas

Tagged: 

• This topic has 3 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated by .
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    astro1
    Participant

Hello All,

At this moment I’m in search for an Antenna that I can use to cover the bands, and not just HAM Bands. I plan on putting this Antenna up in my house Attic not outside. Is there any Websites, YouTube videos, anyone I can call or email or any other places where I can see these Antennas? Anyone has any suggestions? I would appreciate any information.
      KY4DQ

Gary ac8ne
      Participant

I might suggest an amplified small magnetic loop antenna (no tuning) which depending on loop size and amplifier, will take you up to about 50 MHz. Many on ebay and even some commercial ones. Above 50 MHz not sure as I only use tuned antennas with narrow band width. Search for SWL antennas may also help.

G4ABQ
        Admin

Hi Astro1, here at SDRplay we are planning to add antenna information to our website. As Gary says, an active mag loop can be very effective from LF all the way through HF – some cover VHF as well. There are some good Facebook groups if you search for “Magnetic loop antennas” We recommend Bonita antennas and the Cross Country Wireless active loop antennas – see http://www.crosscountrywireless.net/ which are optimised to work with SDRplay RSPs. Right now due to Covid, they are just shipping the amplifiers and DIY materials to make your own loop. For VHF and above then a simple whip antenna will be omnidirectional and pick up quite a lot (aircraft etc) – here a good quality coax becomes more important since losses tend to be greater as you go up in frequency.

Best regards, Jon G4ABQ

G4ABQ
          Admin

We just produced this new video which starts to address antenna inofrmation. Take a look here: https://youtu.be/KpBkRrjjph4

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.