RSP Duo novice help

• This topic has 6 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated by .
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Sleipnir
    Participant

Hi i have just bought a RSPDuo, i am only a Dxist and the first sensations were incredible. Congratulations fron Sapin for such great receiver.

I have a simple doubt: When i am listening to strong signals, dbm don´t reach more than -50 -60 but the sMeter is very high (i mean the var green over the waterfall (see the photo)) and i dont know if the receiver preamp could be damaged with the normal use, the paradigm of my doubt is the FM broadcast that is under 50 dbm but th red bar is always near to the top.

If i am doing something wrong please tell me
      Hi i have just bought a RSPDuo, i am only a Dxist and the first sensations were incredible. Congratulations fron Sapin for such great receiver.

I have a simple doubt: When i am listening to strong signals, dbm don´t reach more than -50 -60 but the sMeter is very high (i mean the var green over the waterfall (see the photo)) and i dont know if the receiver preamp could be damaged with the normal use, the paradigm of my doubt is the FM broadcast that is under 50 dbm but th red bar is always near to the top.

If i am doing something wrong please tell me.

Thank you !

Attachments:
      Andy2
      Participant

Hi. -50 dBm is a strong signal so we would expect the s-meter to be well over s9 on the S-meter. Don’t worry, it sounds like all is well!

Sleipnir
        Participant

Thank you forma the fast respose. When I listen yo VHF signals red bar reach around +30 +40

I think that is ok but I dont know ir I can hear continously ir if I must to stop listening. If I low the Gain of the rsp I dont see too much change
          Un smeter.

Sorry for my English I hope you understanding my Noob, ver y Noob problem.

I am just a doctor that has little time for learn other things that medicine.

Than you!

• This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by .
          Andy2
          Participant

Hi again.
            Lowering the RF gain won’t affect the S-meter reading as the meter is there to show the true value of the incoming signal strength. It is arranged to show the true strength even if you adjust the gain. The meter *would* show a difference if you used add-on attenuators or pre-amps. Have fun!

Sleipnir
            Participant

Thank you! i understood!

And the last question, what is the max db of smeter that you think i can reach continously without damage the magnific rspduo?

Thank you again.

See you!

Andy2
              Participant

If you are not transmitting near the RSP there is no need to worry at all. The receivers can handle up to 0dBm continuously or +10 dBm for a short period. This is a lot more than the -50/60 that you are getting. Maybe if you lived close to a big broadcasting site and you were using a huge antenna there may be a problem but I have never heard of a failure like this.
                Transmitting several hundred watts from an antenna in the same backyard could be serious though.

Sleipnir
                Participant

Thank you your help was awesome I will have fun whitout worry about this.

I am only dxst sobre I dont transmitir

Ser you!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.