how is using a knob with your SDR?

SDRPlay Independent Community Forum Forums General how is using a knob with your SDR?

Tagged: ,

• This topic has 10 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated by .
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Andre-nl
    Participant

Hi all,

i really like to use a knob with SDR uno and a SDRplay DUO i seen a older video of someone that got a knob working.

Are there more of you guy’s that use a know with your SDRplay? i really likt to get more info about this like

– what so you use ?

– where can i buy one

– what is the best choice?

Kind regard,  Andre

john280z
      Participant

I am using a Griffin Powermate (USB version) in Windows 10. It works OK but you must leave the mouse cursor on the spectrum display while you use the wheel. I only use it to Scroll Up or Scroll Down and push the knob down to Mute the volume (note that Griffin does not support it on Windows 10). You use the Powermate Manager software to set it up. I have no experience with the Bluetooth model.
        There are several DIY kits out there (usually using an Arduino).

john280z
        Participant

I forgot to mention Mike’s excellent Video on the Powermate:

Note, for me in Windows 10 64 Pro I do have to change the properties for it to work – about 0:37 seconds in to the video.

D. C. Alden
          Participant

Unfortunately the Griffin Powermate seems to be discontnued. Used ones can be found for around $100 on Amazon and eBay. Id like to have a wheel for tuning but can’t seem to find a reasonably priced one.

merlinmaxwell
            Participant

I am using a “Microsoft Surface Dial” works well, it’s native “scroll” mode does loads of steps per rev and is great for fine tuning in amateur bands. It works backwards, you can reverse the mouse wheel in SDRUno easily though. The other mode I use is “custom key strokes” and have set it up to do up and down arrows, this is a less fine action, great for broadcast work with the tuning step set to whatever the band is, 9kHz for UK medium wave and 5kHz for SW etc..

Years ago I had a Griffin, the Dial knocks the socks off it for feel and stability. And it’s Bluetooth.

4nradio
              Participant

Thank you for reminding me of the Microsoft Surface Dial! I’ve used the Griffin Powermate in the past, but wasn’t totally happy with it. I’m going to get one of these Dials and try it out based on your recommendation.

barrykiss
                Participant

hi a ew years ago practical wireless had an article written by mike Richards g4wnc about a diy knob for hdsdr.
                  i have one!
                  you may be able to get a reprint of the article
                  it was a usb knob.
                  regards barrykiss g3mtd

Gaz
                  Participant

I was shown an RSP1A being controlled by a Contour Shuttle Xpress at the Newark Hamfest. I bought both on the day but had to wait for delivery of the Xpress. Today I figured it was about time I used the Xpress only to discover Contour don’t list the RSP1A in their supported devices. Does anyone know where I can download an RSP1A compatible Xpesss driver? Many thanks in advance…

merlinmaxwell
                    Participant

SDRPlay responds to standard inputs, up and down arrow, mouse scroll etc. that is how I use my dial and mouse and keyboard. No need for drivers.

Gaz
                      Participant

Sorry bad phrasing on my part, I downloaded the xpress drivers direct off off the Contour website. What I meant to say was does anyone know where I can find a settings file for the xpress? I am still new to the RSP1A and Xpress & not totally happy with how to allocate each button a task. A shortcut to programming them to work together would be great. At the moment my computer sees both but doesn’t link them (the Xpress’s buttons & dials dont effect the computers or SDR’s workings)

ttimmy2005
                        Participant

These work very well. I have one and have found that it has made life so much easier for me.

VFO Control Knob

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.