Empty Forum?

• This topic has 8 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated by .
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Andre-nl
    Participant

is there nobody here?.

i seems like a empty forum?

Rick
      Admin

Hi Andre it is a new forum and only went live today so we are still in our infancy but welcome

Lee
        Participant

Hi.

StandingWave
          Participant

So the whole point of this exercise was what exactly?

You have not migrated existing members or posts so we have a near empty forum and the inconvenience of having to search post history in two places as well as re-register. You have introduced WordPress which is well known for its poor security history. On top of that, this looks ugly compared to the forum pages that were already in place. While I am grateful that we still have a forum for discussion, this does seem very much like a lose-lose move?

Would be interested to know what the reason was though?

• This reply was modified 4 years, 5 months ago by .
            Rick
            Admin

firstly standingwave this is an independent forum and not run by SDRPlay but setup by myself as SDRplay had closed their forum, although we do have members of the sdrplay  team who have said they are happy to assist with questions much the same as the independent facebook groups, with such as GDPR etc transferring the data from another forum and email addresses etc would always be an issue and I am sure the SDRPlay would not be able to do this legally, I have had to work with what I know and I am sorry you do not like the layout etc

best regards Rick

StandingWave
              Participant

Rick, thank you for this clarification and my humble apologies. Having come to this forum directly from the link on the menu on the SDRplay website, I had assumed that this was still being administered by SDRplay and they THEY had made this change for some reason.

In hindsight, there is a reference on their old page to the “new independent SDRplay forum” and  on this site in the navigation there is a reference to the “SDRPlay Independent Community Forum” which if I had been more observant earlier would have furnished an obvious enough clue! Having just had another look on the old forum for any indication of the reason for them closing it, I found reading the “Reasons for suspension of the official SDRplay Community Forum” in the “SDRplay news” sub-forum, truly depressing.

https://www.sdrplay.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4991

In the circumstances, thank you for your work in creating this forum as an alternative to the one that has closed by SDRplay. I hope that in time the membership will build up and you will not have some of the hassles that were evidently experienced on the old forum. Since you have already worked with WordPress and are clearly familiar with this product, it is understandable that you make use of it. Before I was made redundant I was in an IT security focussed role and alerts regarding WordPress vulnerabilities arrived with alarming frequency and other than Adobe Flash, were probably the most frequent of any software package. WordPress earned a certain negative reputation in that respect. Of course, such frequency of alerts could mean that they were very on the ball and active in fixing security problems, but the general consensus seemed to be that they were very poor in that area.

One of the things that I noticed is that WordPress does not seem to preserve the content of a draft post in the editor box when you accidentally or otherwise navigate away from the page and then back again which can be a bit of a nuisance. I had to type almost this whole post again after accidentally clicking a link on the page. Now that I know that, I will use an offline editor to compose, but I wonder whether there is a setting that can prevent that from happening?

Rick
                Admin

thank you and I will take a look at that to see if it is something that can be incorporated appreciate the feedback

diysdr
                  Participant

I have lost so much data when posting on forums that I now always just key up what I want to post in an offline txt editor and then simply cut and paste. I hate re-typing the same info. Kinda a hassel but worth it.

Just curious what is the security issue with wordpress? This is just a wide open forum. Are you concerned that someone will post stuff with your id?

diysdr
                    Participant

Sadly, the reason for low participation on this and other forums is, FACEBOOK. I’ve noticed this happening on other forums too. Its going to become impossible to not use FACEBOOK. SAD.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.